Y6 Home Learning Mat - 1/6/20
I hope that everyone is well and that you are all enjoying the amazing weather! (I'm going to do a little bit of gardening shortly!)
I have had a few days "off" this week and it has been really nice to recharge my batteries a bit. (However, my car battery is completely flat!) I have been enjoying the sunshine and I've been trying to keep practising to improve my drawing. (Miss Jackson sent me a photograph of her dog and I'm trying to get a drawing of it finished. It has very shiny black fur which is hard to draw so I have asked her to dye it a different colour so it is a bit easier to draw!) I have also been practising eyes (and shading) a bit more so I feel a bit more confident when I draw a whole face. The drawing of the eye above is almost A4 size and actually a bit scary!
I've attached the home learning map/mat to this post and I have also put the various bits below in case that makes it easier to click on links / read, etc.
Some of the reading and writing tasks are based on diaries so it is probably best to do these before attempting the diary extract writing task.
- Complete at least 3 MyMaths lessons
- Do some Doodlemaths every day
- Do at least 2 lessons from the Oak National Academy (probably best to work through these in order) - https://www.thenational.academy/online-classroom/year-6/maths#subjects
- Use TTRS (or printed booklets) to improve times tables. (Email if you need booklets.)
- White Rose Maths lessons and sheets are on the maths blog if you want to do more!
- Read every day for at least 15 minutes. This can be a combination of you reading alone and listening to or sharing books with others.
- Use Reading Eggs at least twice this week.
- Complete ReadingEggs comprehension assignment.
- Use National Oak Academy comprehension activities based on diaries. (Activity 1 - Activity 2)
- To listen to/read stories, go to:
- Oxford Owl’s Free e-book library -https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/find-a-book/library-page/
- Audible’s free children’s books -https://stories.audible.com/discovery
- Use the Oak National Academy’s lesson examining the features of a diary: https://www.thenational.academy/year-6/english/diary-entry-lesson-3-identifying-features-year-6-wk5-3
- Use the Oak National Academy lesson on informal language. https://www.thenational.academy/year-6/english/diary-entry-lesson-4-informal-language-year-6-wk5-4
- Our Friday writing task is to write a diary. You can choose to do one detailed longer piece examining a single day or you can cover several days. I would recommend doing the reading activities based on diaries as well as the activities above before attempting this task.
- I have also added a bonus story writing task to the blog post - Our homes are in the trees...
- Complete 3 workouts - you could:
- Bike ride / scoot
- P.E with Joe (You Tube)
- Cosmic Kids Yoga (You Tube)
- Dance with Oti (You Tube)
- Make up a throwing and catching game
- Use the Rising Stars football coaching videos for primary children - up to Y6!
- Have a look at the Wellbeing Blog on the school website and choose an activity. Ask your grown-ups to email email@example.com to say which one you have done.
- Complete assignments set for you on Spelling Shed and ReadingEggs – these focus on words with silent letters.
- Use the handwriting practice sheet with words containing silent letters. (on blog)
- Here is a link to a Y7 drawing lesson from the BBCLearn at Home pages. It examines how an artist uses drawing, discusses some important art terms and then there is a practical activity. - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zd9r47h
- https://bit.ly/3cePVIt (lesson notes)
Family Fun Ideas
- How about a paper plane competition? (Make sure you don’t throw them at anyone and if you are using them outside, do it somewhere where you are safe and socially distanced.)
- Use the video and activities on this BBC Bitesize lesson exploring natural resources and how their availability affects human activity. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/z6p8jhv
- Use the National Oak Academy lesson exploring how animals have been affected by human activity.https://www.thenational.academy/year-6/foundation/what-impact-have-humans-had-on-plants-and-animals-year-6-wk5-3
Weekly Community Activity
- Make a ‘Thank You’ card or poster for people for another family member!