Home Learning Mat - 18/5/20 & Writing Task
Apparently it's a home learning mat, not map!
Here are the links for this week's learning at home. The documents should be attached at the bottom of the page. I have also attached this week's Friday writing task. (The writing task will fit well with some of the reading tasks and the reading project that I'm going to upload on Monday.)
I hope you are all well! As ever, thank you so much for sending me pictures of the amazing work you have done.
Don't forget to get your grown-ups to email me if you need some more work - or fancy doing (or revising) something other than what I have suggested on here.
I've really enjoyed seeing the drawings you have been sending me. Please keep these coming! I have included lots of art activities this week! (The drawing above is a great skua. (Its name is "great skua" - I wasn't describing my drawing! ;-) )
The writing task is attached to this post. I have included a Powerpoint and/or PDF document with lots of photos - you almost certainly don't want to print all of these!
- Complete at least 3 MyMaths lessons
- Do some Doodlemaths every day
- Do at least 2 lessons from the Oak National Academy (probably best to work through these in order) - https://www.thenational.academy/online-classroom/year-6/maths#subjects
- White Rose Maths Lessons will also be available on our maths blog.
- Use TTRS (or printed booklets) to improve times tables. (Email if you need booklets.)
- Complete 3 workouts - you could:
- Read every day for at least 15 minutes. This can be a combination of you reading alone and listening to or sharing books with others.
- Complete the activities from our reading project. (see blog from Monday 18/5/20)
- Use Reading Eggs at least twice this week.
- Complete ReadingEggs comprehension assignment.
- Use National Oak Academy comprehension activities based on description of settings. (Link 1) (Link 2)
- To listen to/read stories, go to:
- Oxford Owl’s Free e-book library -https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/find-a-book/library-page/
- Audible’s free children’s books -https://stories.audible.com/discovery
- Our Friday writing task is about discovering a mysterious cave entrance...(See the Y6 blog for details. The document with pictures is quite big, so perhaps don’t print it!)
- These writing tasks will fit well with our reading project which will be uploaded on Monday.
- Use the Oak National Academy’s lesson examining the description of a setting. https://www.thenational.academy/year-6/english/setting-description-lesson-3-identifying-features-year-6-wk3-3
- Use the Oak National Academy lesson on figurative language. https://www.thenational.academy/year-6/english/setting-description-lesson-4-figurative-language-year-6-wk3-4
- Have a look at the Wellbeing Blog on the school website and choose an activity. Ask your grown-ups to email firstname.lastname@example.org to say which one you have done.
- Complete assignments set for you on Spelling Shed and ReadingEggs – these focus on _ible and _able words.
- Use the handwriting practice sheet with _ible and _able words. (attached to this post)
- Lots of you seemed to enjoy last week’s art so, here are some links for more optical illusion type art!
- Alternatively, if you wanted to have a go at drawing cartoon style characters, then visit the Harptoons website!
Family Fun Ideas
- The Scouts have got some great ideas for activities on their excellent website.
- They have a range of activities for all ages - involving craft, art, learning about the world and problem solving! Link here.
Topic / Computing this week!
- BBC Bitesize have got a great page exploring the important ideas of algorithms and debugging. There are some helpful videos and guides and enjoyable activities.
- The guide looks at different types of bug and how to find them. It also looks at bugs in Kodu and Scratch. Link here.
- The Oak National Academy have a great lesson looking at the story of life on earth and what type of organism was alive at different times.
- The BGS has an interactive page here exploring this same topic - with (flash) games.
Make a ‘Thank You’ card or poster for people for another family member!